There are no items in your basket.
By now most of us know that we can slather coconut oil onto our skin as a moisturizer or into our frying pans for cooking. But there is a plethora of other ways to use that jar of organic coconut oil you have on your counter. And more importantly, there’s actually a lot of data behind why organic coconut oil is so amazing.
On top of there being a ton of ways to use coconut oil, there are also numerous brands and styles of coconut oil. My favorite? Organic extra virgin cold-pressed coconut oil.
Allow me to explain… First off, why should we care about our coconut oil being organic? Because then we know it’s free of harmful chemicals, which is important both for when we eat coconut oil and when we use it on our bodies. Now on to the extra-virgin part: This simply means that the coconut oil is unrefined. This, along with the cold-pressing process, helps coconut oil retain its nutrients and lauric acid, which has antiviral properties and beneficial metabolic effects. In other words, you get to keep the good stuff.
So now on to the 5 reasons you’ll want a jar of organic coconut oil at your side all year long:
- It can help ease your sunburn naturally! We’ve all been there: We thought we applied enough nontoxic sunscreen to get us through the day, but—oops!—we missed a spot. And now we’re suffering through a burn. Not only can organic coconut oil help soothe, moisturize, and cool your sunburned skin, but it’s also rumored to actually help your burned skin heal faster.It’s super easy to create a DIY organic aftersun/sunburn salve to throw in your bag before heading to the beach.Here’s what you need to make homemade coconut oil sunburn salve:
- ¼ cup Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 tablespoon organic aloe vera (I used a stalk of my own plant)
- 1 jar with a lid
Here’s how you make it:
- Cut a stalk of aloe vera from a plant and squeeze out 1 tablespoon of the juice.
- Scoop ¼ cup of Organic Coconut Oil into a small bowl and heat until it’s completely liquefied.
- Add the aloe to the coconut oil and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature so it hardens.
- Scoop into a travel-friendly jar and apply as needed.
- It can help keep your legs looking amazing! Not only can you use organic coconut as a safe and chemical-free, moisturizing shave cream, but you can also prep your legs pre-shave by making a coconut oil sugar scrub. Bonus: It smells pretty amazing.Here’s how you keep your legs silky smooth with coconut oil:
- Mix ½ cup sugar with ¼ cup organic coconut oil and scrub onto your legs in the shower.
- Rinse off the coconut-sugar scrub.
- Rub coconut oil onto your legs.
- Shave with a sharp razor.
- Clean the tub so that it’s not super slippery next time around.
- Voila! Soft, coconut-fresh legs.
- It can organically keep your armpits fresh! That’s right! You can make your own natural deodorant using organic coconut oil that will keep you fresh without the harmful effects of the aluminum in anti-perspirants (which has been linked to Alzheimer’s disease).Here’s what you need to make homemade coconut oil deodorant:
- 8 tablespoons Organic Coconut Oil
- 6 tablespoons baking soda
- 6 tablespoons organic corn starch
- ½ teaspoon Radiance Bronzing Shimmer Body Oil
Here’s how you make it:
- Melt the coconut oil.
- Mix in the baking soda, corn starch, and Radiance oil.
- Pour into a jar.
- Once it sets, it’s ready to use!
- It can safely keep your makeup brushes clean. Skip the toxic makeup-brush cleaners and make your own by simply melting Organic Coconut Oil into a glass jar and dipping each of your brushes into the oil. After each brush has been soaked in the coconut oil, rub the oil and makeup residue off onto a reusable organic cloth wipe then wash off the remaining oil with warm water. If you’re having difficulty removing all the coconut oil from the brushes, use a tiny bit of organic castile soap in the warm water. Finally, lay your brushes flat and wait until they’re completely dry to use them.
- It can naturally deep-condition your hair. Before jumping into salty waves during the summer or weathering harsh dry air in the winter, prep your hair with coconut oil. Simply wet your hair with fresh water and comb a dollop of Coconut Oil into it, spreading it throughout, then throw your locks into a loose bun and cover with a shower cap. For best results, leave the coconut oil in for several hours before washing it out with a gentle shampoo. Enjoy your soft and lovely tresses!